Yeah I know it’s two weeks into June, but hey! It’s the thought that counts!
I’ve been polishing off a lot of indies lately and tossing some ancient makeup things…
- Skintastic brand Anti-blemish cleanser – some random cleanser I bought from walmart. I like pump bottles for my shower and this was a good post-workout type of cleanser. Whatever salicylic acid/good things it has in it don’t really matter that much since it’s just a cleanser and it all washes off, but it didn’t aggravate my skin or dry it out, so it’s a pretty solid cleanser. Would I buy it again? ehh, no.
- ELF blender brush – holy schmoly this thing just broke on me. I can’t even explain it, but it’s like it was always kind of basic & scratchy, but after just one wash it’s weirdly clingy? Like the bristles are all stuck to each other and are really loose in the ferrule (and I know it’s not me or my brush cleanser, since all my other brushes are fine). Would I buy it again? My Coastal Scents brushes are better than ELF’s
- Dior Diorshow Mascara – Someone please explain to me why mascara is SCENTED? This was a decent “natural lash” type of mascara. It was nice but not the super glamourous style I usually prefer. Honestly, I would keep using it until it’s gone, but I dropped the wand on the floor and it’s super gross now so ehhh. No big loss. Would I buy it again? Nope. Maybe if it was a free sample or something.
- CoverGirl Professional Natural Lash in Clear – bought as a brow gel as per many recommendations, but it’s too watery and doesn’t really do much. Would I buy it again? No.
- L’Oreal Wear Infinité Studio Secrets Eyeshadow “For Blue Eyes” 106 Desert Sunrise – This is very old, I think from high school old. I have better eyeshadow now, not that this was ‘bad’ at all. It’s a little too warm toned for me and I never reach for it. Would I buy it again? I don’t think they even sell it anymore!
- Maybelline Ultra Brow in Light Brown – Another ancient product. I recently bought the Gwen Stefani for Urban Decay Brow Box and holyschmoly I love it so much more and it’s a much better color for me. Would I buy it again? Nope.
- Firebird (indie brand) Lip Balm in Blackberry Mocha – not a very strong flavor, sort of a berry with coffee afterthought. More waxy / coating than other lipbalms that I prefer. I like more moisturizing formulas. Would I buy it again? Nope.
- Epically Epic Soap (indie brand) Lip Balm in Snowy Ice Cream – My sweet love of my life! I bought ….four… of these. Favorite flavor (its like minty vanilla marshmallow) and my favorite formula. They actually feel hydrating! And I swear, always wearing mint lipbalm makes me feel like my breath is fresh and my day is more refreshing. Would I buy it again? Always!
- Sixteen92 (indie brand) Hand and Body Lotion in Salted Caramel Latte and Toasted Marshmallow – Delicious yummy scents as always, but not the most hydrating formula for me. Would be nicer for people who like quicker drying lotions. Would I buy it again? I’m a sucker for their scents but not their formula. Maybe during a sale?
- Paula’s Choice Resist Moisture Renewal Oil Booster (sample size) – My skin is an awful combination of super dry, very allergic/sensitive, and acne prone. I’m still struggling to find a solid routine and to weed out exactly which ingredients don’t work for me (this feels like it’s going to take me years to get perfect, ugh), but this was a decent booster especially in colder winter months. I can’t use it every day though, because I think it was too oily for my skin and would break me out. A nice way to add some moisture to a summer moisturizer that needed to be boosted up for winter. Would I buy it again? I’ve bought the sample size twice already and my mind is still not made up.
- CND Toughen Up Base coat nail polish – I change my polish about every 5 days, so a good base coat is absolutely necessary. This bottle is maybe 2 years old and it’s basically dried solid now. Time to buy a new one! (Probably Essie’s Strengthener one, I’ve had good results with that) Would I buy it again? Nahh
- Haus of Gloi (indie brand) Golden Corn Cakes Pumpkin Butter – I’ve tried pretty much every major indie brand lotion, and I think this is my favorite! It’s really hydrating and thick, which is what my dry skin loves. This is similar to Cocoa Pink’s Coco Mango Body Butter formula, but HoG’s is cheaper per ounce ($2.53 per oz versus CP’s $2.73 per oz). Sometimes you can snag HoG pumpkin butters on sale (past seasonal scents usually) and it makes it one of the cheapest body butters I buy. Worth it at any price. to be honest. Would I buy it again? Yes, this is my new love.
- Fortune Cookie Soap (indie brand) Milk Bath in Tommy Guns and Baseball Bats – I find that milk baths are more hydrating for me than bath salts, and better than bath oils because it doesn’t make my tub into a dangerous place to step (so slippery!). Milk baths are definitely easier to clean up after, haha. I love this scent and formula. FCS is one of the pricer per ounce brands though, so I need to strategically buy during sales or wait for out-of-season scents to go on sale. Would I buy it again? This formula, yes. This scent is sadly DC’d.
That’s all, folks! Have you discovered any new loves from your empties?