Whoo hoo! I have another long post of lipstick swatches 🙂 These are all the lipstick colors I call “dark red”. Keep in mind, I’m a pale NC10-15 and these are just my opinions, so your mileage may vary!
I had to break this color family into two groupings, mostly because I have way too much lipstick and because I knew I would run out of room if I tried to swatch them all at once!
- NYX Vintage Liquid Suede Lipstick
- NYX Copenhagen Soft Matte Lipcream
- Revlon Black Cherry Lipstick
- Rimmel Bordeaux Lipstick
- Wet’n’Wild Cherry Bomb Lipstick
- Sephora Color Lip Last Elegant in Brown
- Buxom Full Bodied Lipstick Menace
- Ulta Cream Lipstick 219 Sangria
- Butter London Moisture Matte Lipstick Ruby Murray
There’s a lot of similar colors in this group. That’s actually the repeating problem in my collection; I’m obviously drawn to certain colors and end up with color dupes, although formulas are very different across different brands.
Now for some thoughts!
- NYX Vintage — Ugh I’m really not loving the Liquid Suede line. I want to! But I think these were way overhyped and I definitely should have waited for more reviews before buying three. This one is a cool color as a stain, but it takes some work to get it even and nice. It’s too dark for me in more than one layer but it’s nice as a light stain. The applicator is too large and brings up way too much product at once, so it is finicky to apply. If I don’t use it a lot this winter, I’m getting rid of it. (KEEP maybe)
- NYX Copenhagen — Me and the soft matte creams have a terrible love/hate relationship. I like some of the colors and I don’t have dupes for them, but they aren’t super long wearing, they do that weird ring of color on my inner lips, and can be drying if I wear them a couple days in a row. Honestly, I’m thinking of destashing all my NYX since I now have better quality products… (DESTASH)
- Revlon Black Cherry — The only reason I’ve held onto this one is because the color was so hard to find. I find the formula waxy and not-smooth; I can’t get this looking nice and even on my lips at all. Also it tastes funny. It’s similar to a blotted down WnW Cherry Bomb. (DESTASH)
- Rimmel Bordeaux — I like this one better than Black Cherry, especially in terms of color. There’s a fine shimmer in it that I think is flattering in this dark color. It’s also more red than purple and I think that works on me. All the Rimmel lipsticks taste weird to me though, to the point where I almost never wear mine. This is darker than Butter London Ruby Murray and lighter than Sephora Elegant in Brown. (DESTASH)
- Wet’n’Wild Cherry Bomb — I finally got this last fall after hearing lots of postive things. I don’t hate the WnW lipsticks, especially at this cheap price point, but the caps are super annoying and they can be drying after a day of wear. (KEEP, for now)
- Sephora Elegant in Brown — I like the long last line and I got three of them. And then I just…never wore them. They do last a long time (pretty much all day), which is fabulous. I’m not a fan of the fruity smell/taste and they do get a bit flaky towards the end of their wear time. Comparable red tone to Rimmel Bordeaux, except darker. (KEEP, for now)
- Buxom Menace — I like the creaminess of the Buxom lipsticks but they don’t last all day other than a stain of color after the creamy part wears off. They transfer to everything too; definitely not kiss proof. The mini sizes also are so fragile and the lipstick gets all smushed up inside the tubes. I’ve heard the full sizes do that too, so I’m wary to upgrade any of my minis. Menace is more of a purple/fuchsia tone red and is one of the lighter ones in this group. (KEEP, for now)
- Ulta 219 Sangria — Definitely a red-purple wine color! I like the Ulta color range and their creamy lipsticks are comfortable and last a decent time before just leaving a stain. They’re super fragrant though. I open the lipstick cap and it’s a very strong scent. They’re a tiny bit waxy in their formula, but it’s not as noticeable for this color. I do like this color and it builds nicely to fully opaque, but gives the option to be more sheer. But it’s pretty similar to the Butter London color, just a bit more purple, darker, and glossier. (DESTASH)
- Butter London Ruby Murray — Love the moisture matte formula! I have four now, thanks to Ulta’s 21 Days of Beauty sale! It’s a super lightweight, comfortable formula. I find the color easy to build and actually kind of like that they aren’t opaque in one swipe. It makes the darker colors a little more versatile. They’re creamy to apply and aren’t a true ultra matte finish, but more of a ‘natural matte’. It’s flattering and completely not drying at all. (KEEP)
So we ended up most of this group on the chopping block, with the exceptions of Butter London absolutely being kept. I think I’m going to put a bunch of these in a “jail” box, and if I don’t use them by the end of winter, they won’t be getting out of jail free and will be destashed (haha).
I’ll be back with part 2 of my dark reds ASAP 🙂
til later lovelies,