Okay so I’ve been meaning to do an empty products post for…. an embarrassingly long time. I decided just to lump a bunch of months together and call it Spring because I can’t remember exactly when I started collecting my empties! Like most people, I burn through skincare products way faster than makeup, so this post is mostly skincare things 🙂
I’ve been challenging myself to use up products before buying replacements especially moisturizers; I tend to have two or three (or four haha) half-used ones at a time because I keep trying new ones! So this empties post is pretty reflective of my crusade to finish all the things I have lying around 🙂
- La Roche Posay Eau Thermale Spring Water Spray – honestly this is one my favorite frivolous “must-haves”. Do I strictly need it? Ehhhh maybe not, but I LOVE it and I use it for everything. Long car trip? I need this to refresh my face. Long night at work? Totally need this to keep my face awake. Skin tingling after a face mask? Spritz time! Makeup sponge needs a quick dampen? One spray and you’re good. Would I buy it again? I already have 🙂
- Avène Trixera Emollient Cream – a friend suggested this for my very sensitive eczema prone skin. Now it was pretty expensive for a body cream (which my dry skin goes through quickly) but I had hopes that I might be able to use this on my face as well, which would make it super inexpensive as a face cream. Alas, my skin loved it but my face did not- it was too emollient for my face. Still a wonderful cream though! Would I buy it again? Maybe on sale.
- Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask – I used this as a night cream not as a mask and, like all Clinique products, I loved it for the lack of fragrance and gentleness on my skin. A bit too emollient outside of the winter months though. Would I buy it again? Maybe, if I can’t find a better cream come next winter.
- Almay Soothing & De-Puffing Gentle Eye Makeup Remover Pads – I always have some version of these Almay pads around. Either this one or the oil-free Gentle ones. Would I buy it again? Already have.
- Olay Total Effects Anti-Ageing Fragrance Free Moisturizer – Are you seeing the pattern? If it’s fragrance free and gentle, I will most likely try it. This one comes recommended by Paula’s Choice and I had high hopes (especially since it’s so easy to purchase on sale / with coupons at Ulta). I didn’t see any positive change in my skin but on the other hand it didn’t hurt it. Would I buy it again? Maybe, if I haven’t found a better option.
- Lush Eau Roma Water – I have a friend who works at Lush and she highly recommended this to me along with the (not pictured) Celestial moisturizer. I’ve actually gone through two of the Celestials at various times in the last year or so, but I’m always unconvinced that I like it. It is super gentle but I think the richness made my skin greasy and break out. The Eau Roma water was bought before I fully understood how much my skin detests any hint of fragrance. It was nice but it didn’t really refresh my skin; it just made it feel not-cleaned and tingle. Would I buy it again? Nope.
- Boscia Oil-Free Nightly Hydration – Oddly I bought this when it was still relatively cold out. I had just run out of a Celestial I was using in the drier winter months and I was trying to find something gentle but not greasy. Once again Paula’s Choice beautypedia led me to this moisturizer. It was lovely but definitely left my skin feeling ‘tight’. I think my combo skin was too much on the side of dry to use this, although it was really nice. Would I buy it again? Maybe for the heat of summer!
- Maybelline Flash Clean Makeup Remover Lotion – this was rec’d by my makeup artist friend who was helping me find a cheaper alternative to MUFE’s makeup remover lotion or Clinique’s gentle remover lotion. Again, fragrance free and gentle are pretty much the only thing I can use, so this was rec’d as an alternative to the more expensive ones I’ve used. I like it! It is very very similar to the Clinique one especially, and it did the job well. It did have a bit of a stinging problem if I used too much or got it in my eye, but I feel like anything would sting in my eyes. Would I buy it again? Maybe. I’m currently using a Neutrogena lotion that I like more. (Sidenote; is this discontinued? It’s no longer on the Ulta website where I bought it…)
- Evian Facial Spray– see the La Roche Posay one. I love my water sprays, as silly as they are! This smaller size was for my gym bag and travel bag. Would I buy it again? For travel, always.
- Algenist Retinol Firming & Lifting Serum – A gift with purchase that I ended up LOVING. Honestly, I’m not 100% sure what it did, but I know that 1) it didn’t irritate my skin 2) it didn’t make it worse 3) my skin seemed brighter after I used it up. I think this was a gentle way for me to incorporate retinol into my skincare routine. Would I buy it? Maybe during Sephora’s sales…. all of the Algenist line is pretty pricy.
- Almay Wake Up Hydrating Makeup – This one is old. Oldddd. I’ve been needed to use it up for a while! I figured since it was a powder product it was okay to ignore the age a bit (haha). This was my go-to in the morning. Slap on a SPF, some concealer, and this on top. I kept using it even though it’s a bit too dark for me and had odd shimmer particles. It didn’t have a lot of coverage but it was so easy to use (and had SPF!). Would I buy it again? Nope- pretty sure it’s discontinued and anyways, my skin likes liquid foundations for the coverage more than powders.
- Two Faced Shadow Insurance (original) – I got a two pack of the original and candlelight a while ago. This one became separated and gotten really runny. The Candlelight one hasn’t yet, so I’m still going to try to use that one up. I’d be mad about the separating if I didn’t just get Urban Decay Enigma which I LOVE. Would I buy it again? Nope. UD has won me over.
- Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara in Black– another GWP. Loved this stuff! I’m always collecting travel sized mascaras (I swear they’re better than full) so I was glad to get this one. It had a very natural look on me (I tend to go for fun extremes with Roller Lash or Better Than Sex most days 🙂 ) and didn’t flake or fall out. Would I buy it again? Ehh probably not; it’s pretty easy to get these as GWPs.
- Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum – GWP. Loved this stuff. I swear it worked on the few acne scars I have on my cheeks. It got weird towards the end though; the color changed and it stung my skin so I just threw it out instead of continuing use. Would I buy it again? The price per ounce is kind of a lot for me, but I am on the look out for another hydroquinone product for cheaper… (hint hint, if you have suggestions I’d love them!)
- Le Couvent des Minimes Loving Care Body Balm– I’m actually upset that I love this so much. My skin has been ridiculously dry lately. I have no explanation (other than lots of recent air travel) and all my usual lotions are not cutting this. I got this as a sample and it really worked! Great for my sensitive dry skin. Would I buy it? On sale in a heartbeat.
- SkinMedica Vitamin C + E complex – GWP. Loved the silicone-y feeling. It was like a primer except with awesome benefits! It did sting a little if my cheeks were already having a rosacea day, but otherwise this was lovely. It was too small to really tell if it helped, but it did feel nice! Would I buy it? Too expensive for me.
- Caudalie Polyphenol c15 Serum – another GWP (bless Sephora’s GWPs, right??). Not sure if it did anything, but despite the medicinal scent it didn’t visibly irritate my skin. Would I buy it? I don’t need it.
SO MANY PRODUCTS!
If you’ve made it this far, congratulations you’re amazing. It’s like a very long peek into my skincare routine (more like ‘routine? what routine?’) and buying habits. Most of this can be summed up with “must be fragrance free” and “body cream shouldn’t cost as much as face cream”. I’ve been working on some more products and empties, so hopefully they will be another post come August!
Thanks for reading this essay, haha 🙂
til later lovelies,